Monday, November 14, 2011

Changing Tires in Stilettos: A Girl’s Guide to Fixing a Flat


Being a 5’6”, 104 pound female, one typically would imagine that I couldn’t even lift a tire, never mind changing one. People usually grin in disbelief, especially at how many times I’ve changed a tire in heels. Yes, I will admit, it probably is a bizarre scene, but it sure beats waiting around for help and certainly saves on auto-club membership fees.   
Since I’m not a fan of being a stranded damsel in distress, I figured I’d share the tire changing process from my own perspective.
If you’re driving down the road and you hear a pop followed by thudding noises, pull over immediately. Delaying this can cause damage to your rims.
1.       After calming down about the situation, head for the trunk.  In most cars, you will find a stock spare tire, jack and lug wrench beneath the carpeted area in the trunk. If not, I definitely suggest investing in the proper tools. Mechanics Discount has all the tools you need to change your tire. 

2.       Remove the jack from your trunk and position it under the frame of the car about a foot from the damaged tire and start cranking. The frame is a long thick piece of metal located close to the edge of the car that runs the full length of the vehicle.   

3.       Crank the tire up just enough where it won’t spin, but if you turn the crank a few more times, it will.   

4.       Using the tire iron, remove hubcap. Some hubcaps will need to be unscrewed with the tire iron and others will have to be pried off. To unscrew the hub cap, turn the wrench to the left. I always remember what direction to go, by this little saying: “righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.”  

5.       Place the wrench on the exposed lug nuts and pull to the left. In the past, I’ve come across some very stubborn lug nuts and given the wrench a few karate-style drop kicks. I do not recommend that step due to risk of injury; however, I will say it is even more challenging in heels. 

6.       After all the lug nuts are loosened, remove them and place aside. Crank the jack a few times so the tire can spin freely and then carefully pull the tire forward and remove it from the bolts.  

7.       Using caution, pick up the spare tire or “doughnut” and align the holes with the bolts and slide tire on.  

8.       Lower the jack if the spare is smaller than the other tires, so the tire will not rotate. Screw lug nuts onto the bolts and tighten as much as possible being careful not to strip bolts.   

9.       Lower jack and remove from beneath the car.  

10.   Pack up your gear and you’re ready to go! Remember; try to stay below 40 mph, if you are driving on a spare tire rated for lower speeds.


If I can do this, you can too! I’m definitely not Super Woman; I’m just a girl that paid attention to Dad when he showed me the art of changing tires. Little did I know that this knowledge would be put to good use on numerous occasions!  Thanks Dad!  
~Charlene Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment