Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cars of the ‘80s

Take a leap back in time and remember when


Being a product of the ‘80s, I can recall many of the bizarre styles, big hair and flamboyant fashions produced from that decade. Another thing that stuck in my head was the interesting cars that stemmed from that funky era. From sleek and stylish Firebirds to lanky wood-grain station wagons, I remember these cars like it were yesterday. So throw on your jean jacket and break out the cassette tapes; for it’s time to take a trip down memory lane with these vintage vehicle finds! 
Cadillac Brougham Sedan
When my dad first brought his 1989 Cadillac Brougham Sedan home, I thought technology was at its prime. As a kid, I marveled at all of the car’s electronic gizmos and shiny paint job and was floored that a car could have so many compartments and features! Although it was the mid-1990s when he actually purchased it, I remember seeing plenty of these massive works of luxury on the road many years beforehand.  I never thought I’d actually get to ride in a Cadillac, nor learn to drive a behemoth of a car in the not-so-far future!  

Photo courtesy of mcsmk8.com
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
In the ‘80s, I used to play an obnoxious game when I was out on long highway trips with friends. Whenever an awesome car would drive by, my friend or I would yell, “My car!” as soon as we spotted our dream mobile. I’m surprised our parents didn’t make us get out and walk! At the end out the trip, it would always be the Pontiac Friebird Trans Am that topped my list.
Photo courtesy of Motortopia.com
Station Wagons
Station wagons might have not been the prettiest things on the road, but as a kid, they sure were fun! Before the inception of mandatory seatbelt laws, I was always the first to jump into the rear section of these cars. It was one of the best seats in the house and the view of the road was phenomenal! Back in the day, just about every family I knew had a least one of these handy cars in their driveway!  Before my dad got his Cadillac, he drove an old, powdered-blue station wagon for years!

Photo courtesy of istenbizony.hu
 Police Cars
Don’t ask me why, but when I was young, I thought police cars were supposed to look the same forever. You can imagine my surprise when the local precincts decided to upgrade their wheels!  The squad cars around my area were always Chevy Caprices.
Photo courtesy of mysite.verizon.net
When you think back, what cars do you remember from the ‘80s?
Until next time, drive safe and let the good times roll!
~Charlene Marie




No comments:

Post a Comment